The purpose of the Certificate of Occupancy and Inspection Program is to:
- Address substandard and unsanitary residential rental buildings and dwelling units;
- To identify substandard and unsafe rental units and to ensure the rehabilitation or elimination of those buildings and units that do not meet minimum building code and housing code standards;
- To maintain property in a safe and sanitary condition;
- To protect the citizens’ property rights by maintaining the value of their property;
- To maintain the health, welfare, and safety of the residents living in such rental buildings and dwelling units and the neighborhoods which host these structures.